Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Blueberry Time



The blueberries have been ripening and we've been picking, freezing, jamming and baking.
Clark stays with me when I pick berries. Maybe it's the free berries he's after. He loves them.








This picking is from just 3 bushes. We have 9 bushes. 3 of one kind that ripen first and are smaller and 6 of another kind that are larger and ripen later. These berries are from the second set of bushes. You have to have two different kinds of bushes to have pollination. After I pick a bush, I give it 3 to 4 days to ripen the next go-round of berries. Thank goodness they don't all ripen at once. It take hours to pick them. At the moment, I have 3 stuffed, gallon zip-locks of frozen berries and
Last week was also a busy guild week. A day stitch-in was Mon., an evening stitch-in was Wed. and the toy chest etui class was Sat. and Sun. Here are a few finishes from some of our guild members. Their work is inspiring and beautiful.

This is Paula's Dutch Beauty.









Here is Linda's Village of Hawk Run





Our class with Betsy Morgan of Willing Hands Needlework Design was great. We learned many new tricks and the time flew by. I don't have a lot to show for it. I have hours more stitching to complete each piece. I did finish the Jacob's ladder needle book and I'm thrilled I got that far. Here is a picture of some of the finished pieces for the toy chest etui.
We learned lots of construction techniques. Her directions are very detailed and I feel pretty confident I can finish all the pieces. The button box is next on my list or maybe finishing the thimble keeper. I still have to finish stitching the drum and the big box. Lots of hours to go but they will be delightful. Here is our group, Betsy instructing and then a picture of other projects she teaches. Sorry the pictures aren't great. If you ever have the chance to take one of her classes - DO - you won't be disappointed and you'll be thrilled with what you can accomplish.



You can see the toy chest near the middle the third item in from the right.

Marsha

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh blueberries, my favorite ;)
And your pictures of the ladies work from your guild...awe inspiring! Thank you for sharing them with us!

Tammy said...

Your blueberries look wonderful!
I never heard of a dog liking blueberries....way to go Clark!
All the stitching is SO beautiful.
Sounds like your class was great, thanks for sharing :-)

mainely stitching said...

What wonderful stitching you've shared with us. And those blueberries .... They remind me of home. We bought a little box of blueberries at the store the other day and pigged out on them while at the zoo - just ate them by the handful!