Monday, January 10, 2011

Evan turns 6!

So, this past June, Karen of The Quilt Company, posted on her blog, Karen Quilts, a 9 patch quilt challenge.  The challenge was to sew one 9 patch square a day until sometime in August.  Hmm.  I had wanted to make a quilt but I didn't know where to start and this sounded like a good way to try it.  Hmm.  Who could I make it for so that it wouldn't have to be too big and they wouldn't care how it turned out.  Hmm, I know - Evan.  I could make it for his birthday in January and have plenty of time to complete it.  Should I or shouldn't I.  Heck, why not.  Then I would know if I liked making quilts or not.  My grandmother made lots of quilts and I loved them.  So began a new journey.  First, what colors?  I went to the source, Evan, and asked him what his 3 top three favorite colors were.  Green, orange and yellow Mamaw he said with a sign.  I'm supposed to know these things.  OK.  His room is blue, royal blue so those would be the patches in between the 9 patch squares to tie it together.  And so it began. 

Each step seemed overwhelming until I just sucked it up and started.  I have two friends at work that quilt and they helped and encouraged me.  Joyce would give me a tip and Genny would give her opinion and it helped so much with their input.  One thing I knew for sure, I did NOT want to do the actual quilting step.  The Quilter's Workroom did that part for me in a calm waters quilt pattern and had it completed within 2 weeks.

So, with a week to spare I finished the label and wrapped it up.  As a back up gift, we got him the Lego book but he was actually excited to open the quilt and was genuinely happy and excited about it - what a thrill.  He LIKES it, he REALLY LIKES it!

Here it is on our guest bed which is a queen size bed.  It generously fits his twin size bed.
 

The backing is green, his most favorite color. 

It's hanging on top of a blue flannel sheet so it wouldn't get dirty before its debut.

The big reveal.



Mamaw gets a big hug and kiss the best kind of reward.  Love you madly Evan, Happy 6th Birthday!

Marsha

9 comments:

Lisa said...

OMG, Marsha! That is the most awesome thing ever. Congratulations on your first quilt!! I knew you could do it. I'm so glad he liked it too. You go girl!

Hugs,
Lisa

Heidi said...

That smile on Evan's face is worth a million dollars Marsha!!! And of course he loves it because it is just beautiful. You did a truly marvelous job and I cannot believe this is your very first quilt. I hope you have been bitten by the bug and there will be more to follow. You have taken the plunge and they are never as hard afterwards. Great job and a very Happy Birthday to Evan!!!

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

KarenV said...

It's gorgeous! You did a fantastic job and I'm not surprised he liked it :)

Anonymous said...

Marsha- the quilt is awesome! Congrats on a great project! You can tell that Evan loves it- what great color choices!

Martha W.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your quilt is so pretty! Congrats on finishing it :)

Siobhán said...

Happy birthday to Evan! What a great gift! The smile on his face is priceless. :)

Tammy said...

Marsha! What a beautiful quilt and a first quilt! WOW!
Look at that smile!So awesome that Evan loves the quilt, good for you!!
And the plans for your next quilt?
Hugs2u!

Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

Wow! I can not believe how I managed to miss this post - that quilt is awesome! One day... one day.... I am working up the courage to try this out too.

I also absolutely love that Evan was so happy about getting the quilt. Especially since there are plenty of adults that don't appreciate hand-made gifts. Many congratulations on the quilt and on the World’s best grandson!

PS Sorry about the deleted comment; had to re-post due to spelling error... apparently I wasn't allowed just to edit... :-(