Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pittsburgh Trip

Last week I traveled home to Pittsburgh to visit my parents.  I took along the patriotic piece I made for my Dad and gave it to him the first night. He really liked it which made me very happy. I had him put on his favorite veterans cap to take his picture with it.



These two have been married 64 years.  Isn't that something?!


My brother, from MA was visiting at the same time with his wife.  We haven't seen each other in about 5 years and it was so nice to be able to visit and catch up and enjoy each other's company. I miss them so much.


Say cheese.


My Mom is a 24 year cancer survivor.  Ovarian cancer.  She and my Dad are both miracles to still be here.
The year my Mom went through her cancer treatments I taught her to cross stitch.  It made her very nervous and her tension was incredibly tight to begin with but I coached her through every time I went to visit her.  After much fussing. she completed this wonderful sampler.  I love it and think she did an amazing job considering it was her first piece......and last LOL.



The same year of her treatments my parents celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary.  They had a big, fancy party because they were unsure of the future.  I searched and searched for a sampler for the occasion and eventually found Lauren Sauer's sampler.  Changed all the wording to fit my parents and added their 3 children's initials and birth dates in cartouches at the bottom.  I remember that it stitched up pretty quickly and was a fun project.  Amazingly it is still offered for sale.  It is called the Guarnieri Sampler.










It was a great trip.

Marsha

11 comments:

Barb said...

Wonderful family pictures and a great story!

Annette-California said...

Oh my Gosh! I love all the photos but with out reading anything, as soon as I saw the man holding your poppy sampler and the flag..I knew it was your dad. Oh fantastic.
Beautiful, Beautiful and Beautiful.
My eyes got teary. Marsha I hope your very proud of yourself and I'm proud of you and your mom. WOW.
I just love seeing children honoring their parents. Yep!

Anonymous said...

Lovely post today!

Your photos of your family are great.
Your Mum's stitching is lovely as is yours too.
What a great story!

Siobhán said...

Oh, how wonderful!! 64 years married--please God my DH & I will be able to celebrate that together. My parents' wedding anniversary is on the 30th--it would have been 50 years but my dad passed away in 1990, and my mom has mourned him every day since. I know I need to mark it some how... at least get my brothers to contact her on the day. I love the samplers that you & your mother both did! Love the sampler that you did for your dad, too. How neat that you got to see your brother again, too. :)

Jenny said...

Your parents look so sweet! I love how happy your father looks with his new sampler, that is just wonderful.

The other two samplers are gorgeous too. Good job from your mother and that sampler by Lauren is so pretty - I have never seen that design before. Cool!

Ellen said...

Love all the photos, Marsha, especially the one of your father holding the piece you made for him.

Your parents's anniversary sampler is wonderful. I know they must love it.

The Inspired Stitcher said...

What a fine looking family you have there! I'm so glad you dad liked his sampler. He looks pretty proud. I think it's cool you taught your mom to stitch too. I'm looking forward to stitching with mine again too. See you tonight!

Hazel said...

What a lovely trip and such great stitching finishes. Love your patriotic piece. x

blue star stitcher said...

I love the wording you added to your parents anniversary sampler. What a nice touch.

Janet P said...

Super photos, you can see the love, and how your Mum and Dad are so proud.

Carol said...

What a great gift for your dad--he and your mom are such a dear looking couple. 64 years is amazing--they certainly don't look old enough to have been married that long... And how wonderful that your mom has survived ovarian cancer all these years--a true miracle...

I loved reading about the piece she stitched--so cute that it was both her first and last! And your Guanieri sampler to celebrate their 40th is very special, too... I'm sure they both treasure it :)