Friday, March 13, 2015

Finishes

This is the finish I spoke about in my last post.  I started this 'Wishes' quilt last January as a BOM.  I've posted a couple of the finished blocks.  I knew when October came I would not be able to keep up.  All the fall and Christmas stitching gets in the way.  I completed it a couple of weeks ago.  That checkerboard border goes around the whole quilt.  It was a fun quilt to piece. The Fat Quarter Shop offered this as their 2014 BOM.  Every month, Kimberly had a video for each block.  They were such a help to me since I consider myself a new quilter.





The backing has a nice band of checkerboard too.


My local quilt shop in Loveland  has a Quilt Workshop.  They have three Gammil long arm quilting machines.  The three quilts I have completed so far, have been quilted by them.  I decided I wanted to take one of their classes and learn how to use their long arms.  It should save me some money in the future and I'll learn if I like it or not.  Soooo, I made a lap size quilt for my class.


The colors are brighter and more saturated than the picture shows.


Only problem? The workshop is so booked up with people taking classes, that my first class for the lap quilt isn't until the middle of April and not 'til the middle of May for my 'Wishes' quilt.  Sigh. Something to look forward to.


After finishing the lap quilt, I decided my sewing machine needed some spa time.  A good professional cleaning and oiling.  I had some new lighting to attach once I got her back home.  Here is the before picture.  I've rigged up all kinds of lamps for night time sewing.



Here is the after!  Isn't that amazing?  It's wonderful.  Tiny LED lights adhere underneath and can be cut to fit your personal sewing machine.  They have their own switch too.  I KNOW you want a set too so, here's the link.  Sewing Machine LED lights  My one and only suggestion is to watch the You Tube video for installation. They are easy to install but the directions were lacking on how the wires plug in and which way the switch should be stuck on.  You guessed it.  I had the switch stuck on upside down and had to pry it off and reapply.  Wish I would have watched YouTube first.




This past weekend a couple of friends and I went to the Lebanon, Ohio quilt show.  A good little show with interesting vendors.  I love vintage so I indulged in a few items.

The Sun Bonnet Sue needle book reminded me of a quilt my grandmother made for me as a small child.  It was on my bed for many years.  I sure wish I still had that quilt.


This cute little hat is actually a thimble holder.





So adorable.


I love old buttons too.  The tinier the better.  I can't wait to use these.  A travesty if you think they should stay on the card.  Somebody else can keep a set on the card.


This weekend is the Queen City Sampler Guild's stitch in.  I'm sure I'll have lots of pictures to share so stay tuned.  Thanks for visiting.

Marsha

9 comments:

butterfly said...


Love your bed cover so pretty.

Vickie said...

Awesome job on the quilts!
What sweet finds!

Margaret said...

Good for you on finishing that BOM quilt! It's fantastic, and even more fantastic that you finished the quilt -- I'm so bad about keeping up with BOMs. lol! So with the long arm -- you get to learn how to quilt on the long arm with the classes? And if you like it, you can use their long arm to quilt your quilts? Do you have to pay a fee to use the long arm? Or are you thinking of buying your own? Love your vintage items too -- so cute!

Barb said...

Both quilts are beautiful. I used to be a quilter so I know how much work you did on them.

P.J. said...

I love the colors in your bed quilt, kind of nastalgic. Your piece work is beautiful on both quilts!! I will have to share the LED light idea with my mother. That's awesome! Cute vintage finds.

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Both of your flimsies look awesome. Can't wait to see the quilting. You go girl! It was fun hanging out this weekend. Have a good week!

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Your quilts are lovely!

Kerri said...

OMG! Sewing Machine Lights! So amazing and I am off to buy myself some. Thank you so much for the link. I work full time and don't sew after work because my spare room is too dark. These are perfect.

best embroidery digitizing service said...

Thanks for sharing your expertise. Clean digitizing is definitely the foundation of professional embroidery.