Saturday, June 19, 2010

Birthday Giveaway etc.

This is what I won in the silent auction at Art in the Garden. I was so excited when I saw them. I have no idea what they were used for but if you follow BBD's blog you've seen one in a LOT of pictures filled with antique buttons. They come in handy by the sewing machine holding pins, seam ripper etc. So, here's the fun part. My birthday is on the 29th and I will give one of these lovelies away. You have to leave a comment so I have names to pick. Good luck. I'll include a few other goodies too.






I bought 6 ounces of wool to use for stuffing pin cushions.
Last Friday I went to a quilt show in South Lebanon. It featured the works of an elderly woman that lives in the area and has quilted a long time. A long hall way was filled with her work and some are pictured below. The gym area featured other quilters.


This woman did so much hand stitching on many of her quilts. It's a wonder the hours and hours of work in all her quilts.





I love this cathedral window quilt. It looks so different up close but soft and muted when viewed some feet away.



I'm partial to sunbonnet Sue quilts. My first quilt made for me by my grandmother, Hattie, was a sunbonnet Sue. I remember admiring it on my bed many times as a little girl.



My Mom has tons of hankies. I thought this was a pretty way to use them. There were actually two butterfly quilts made from hankies.



This yo yo quilt was so cool.


Last weekend Rich finished up repairing and renewing the blueberry house. The birds were already stealing them. Who knew snow could stick to bird netting, pile up and cave it in even pulling posts out of kilter. Sadly, we found out, or, Rich found out. He spent a good 4 days out there with a new improved plan - removable roof netting, more posts, larger area and the door moved. Thank you Rich - good work!



The blueberry house was repaired just in time. Here is my first picking.
My bread maker bakes a mean loaf of bread. The semolina bread is a favorite. It's wonderful toasted with home made jam.



I got a brand new camera delivered to me yesterday. Whoo hoo. A panasonic FZ35. I was trying it out for a minute after the batteries charged and before dinner. The pictures are nice and sharp. Can't wait to try it out on some stitchery.



Marsha

Edit: Yes, I will ship overseas, so please comment!

38 comments:

pj said...

Marsha, What a lucky girl you are! I have been hunting for just one of these little dishes! Pick me, pick me, pick me!!!! ha! Just teasing you but I would love to own one. Beautiful blueberries! Isn't summer fun?
pj from Iowa

KarenV said...

Those quilts are beautiful! I love the yo-yo one - I'm making mini yoyos at the minute for a chair throw and they're so cute! I'd love to be included in your draw for the dishes, they're lovely, as long as you don't mind sending overseas?

mainely stitching said...

Wow, that's a gorgeous win! And your new camera takes great pictures!

Siobhán said...

Neat dishes! I loved the pics you took of the quilt show, too. I'd love to try my hand at a yoyo quilt!

Heidi said...

Speaking of giveaways...stop in at my blog! But I too say if you don't mind overseas, I am in. And how pretty the dishes are too! I love using unique things like this. The quilts are beautiful. I want to make a butterfly quilt one day. That yoyo quilt looks so pretty but very fragile. And aren't blueberries just the yummiest of berries?!?!?

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

P.S. - Be sure to send me your address again...

omashee aka Barb said...

Marsha. how very lucky you are! I adore these little dishes and have long admired them on BBD's blog. Lucky too the DH is so good at protecting your blueberries. They're my favorite!

Vicki in CO said...

Lovely quilt show! I've actually never made a yoyo but was just explaining how they are made to my DH today at a quilt shop. I'd love to win your giveaway! Thanks much for your generosity.

Ellen said...

Hi Marsha.

Happy birthday!!

I'd love to be entered in your drawing. (I think the dishes are called "bone dishes".)

The quilt show looked wonderful! I could kick myself for not making it up there.

Oh--and your blueberries look delicious....maybe I need to come over and raid your garden.

LindataxPA said...

The little dishes are wonderful. Isn't it amazing how a handful of buttons of varying sizes and colors can make an odd-shaped dish so special. The pictures of the quilts was a wonderful mini-trip for all. Thanks for sharing.

Linda B
PA

stitchenmylifeaway said...

Oh my what a productive quilter. That would have been an interesting show. I would love to be in your drawing. Thank you for being so generous.
Shay, in Dallas

Melanie said...

As some have said, I believe those are called bone dishes. They are just a sweet as can be! Those blueberries look lucious! I hope I'm lucky in your giveaway!
Melanie TN

Ellen said...

Lovely quilts! I also love those dishes I have seen on BBD's blog, please include me in your giveaway.

Hugs,

Julie said...

What a fun blog! LOVE the handkerchief quilt blocks... And what lovely little dishes - I'd love to win one!

Julie

njstitch said...

happy birthday! and these will be great for my crafting goodies next to my favorite chair - pins, knitting stitch markers, scissors, seam ripper - the list goes on and on...

Sheila said...

Love the dishes and would love to be entered to win one.
The quilts are just great.

Nici said...

How wonderfull, Marsha. Quilts looks great. Please pick me, if thats ok, I come from Germany

Charlene ♥ NC said...

What a lovely display of quilts! I love seeing these pretty dishes on BBD, along with all their other pretties. I've looked but never seem to find them out and about. From what I understand, they are old fashioned bone dishes - set along the dining place setting to discard bones from the meal. Please enter me in your drawing.

Lisa P said...

Happy early birthday, Marsha!

I sure wish I'd been around to go to the quilt show with you.

Hope to see you Friday night!

Hugs, Lisa P

Christie said...

Marsha,

What a great win you got. You really got some great pictures. So what are you making with all the blueberries and are you bringing any to Keepsakes sitch night :-) Christie

Sherry aka Celtic Dream Weaver said...

I would love to win one of these dishes. They look so Victorianish. I love anything of that era. Very pretty. I hope I will win. I also loved looking at your pictures of the quilts. I really like the pretty butterfly one. Of coarse you have to love the Holly Hobby Quilt too. All of that work.

Françoise said...

Happy birthday Marsha

Beautifull quilts!!!

Thanks
Best regards
Françoise

Sherry said...

I would love to be entered in your giveaway! The dishes are just beautiful! Wow, look at those lovely quilts!

Marcy said...

Your little dishes are lovely. How lucky you were to win these. I enjoyed looking at your pictures. I also noticed that you live very close to me. I live in Centerville, Ohio just a little north from you on I-75. Happy Stitching, Marcy

her87monte said...

thanx for this birthday drawing and I hope you have a very special day on the 29th..... have a very happy birthday....

my fingers are crossed that you pick my name... those little beauties look really handy for many stitching items....

thanx again and take care, Claire

Anonymous said...

Your blog is wonderful.
I really enjoyed reading and looking at all the wonderful photos of the quilts.
Thanks for sharing with us all
Bonnie
Ft.Langley
BC

Dragon Watcher said...

Oh those are cute !
Hope you have a wonderfull birthday tomorrow :)

Hugs,
Marieka form The Netherlands

Marion said...

Oh they are great! And so wnderful you ship overseas :) anyway happy birthday.

Carin said...

The dishes are so beautiful !! Thanks for the pictures of the wonderful quilts. I love them. Happy birthday !

Rosemary said...

You're lucky, growing blueberries - one of my favourite fruits.
I loved the quilt photos too.
I'd love to be entered in your draw.
Happy Birthday - have a great day.

Helen said...

I believe your dishes are known as "bone dishes" and are to be placed next to your dinner plate at mealtime.

Audrey Davis said...

Hello Marsha hope you have a great birthday. I love finding pretty pink porcelin. I have a thimble that matches one of the dish patterns. I just joines FOR THE LOVE OF STITCHING and have a few of the Sampler Girl patterns, she has made me revisit Jane Austin, cool- Best wishes Audrey aka silver22jade

Stitching Cat said...

According to Kovel - Bone dishes were considered a necessary part of a table setting for the Victorian table. The crescent-shaped dish was kept at the edge of the dinner plate so the bones removed from the fish could be stored away from the uneaten food. Some bone dishes were made in more fanciful shapes and many resemble fish.

Read more: http://www.kovels.com/priceguide/kovels_bonedish/#ixzz0sCPKb6YA


I would love to be entered in your giveaway! I am also extremely jealous of your blueberry crop! Ours did not do so well this year as we had a very warm early spring and then a hard frost!!! Everything then came into bloom at once and some things were fabulous and others not so well. We have 10 bushes and I doubt we'll even get a gallon of berries. But we still have some in the freezer from prior years - think blueberry pancakes on Sunday mornings. Beautiful pictures of the quilt show.

Anita deR said...

What a beautiful things on your weblog, I love your dog. I have also a cavalier king Charles, but a tree colour.
And happy birthday.

Barb said...

Oh how delectable those little dishes are,please would you enter me in your draw , I am in the Uk though. lOVE Clark he looks so sweet. The quilts are so beautiful although not a quilter myself really done the odd nine patch cushion and believe me it was odd!
However I do admire those that do. I have just found you Marsha so will now be back to visit again.
Hugs

Rita said...

Leoval55Happy birthday!!

The dishes are wonderful.

I loved seeing the quilts. What a treat that must have been to see them all together "in person".

The blueberries remind me of our time living in MI. We'd go blueberry picking at a U-Pick farm every Aug and pick/freeze enough to last us all year.

Sharyn said...

Hi, Marsha! Happy Birthday! How kind of you to have a contest!
I had a lovely visit at your blog! Enjoyed seeing all the beautiful quilts! My, your blueberry crop is spectacular! Do you have favorite blueberry recipes?
Please enter me in your contest! The little bone dishes are so sweet!
I hope you have an extra-special birthday!
B-day Hugs,
Sharyn :-)
www. skeinbyskein.blogspot.com

Maggee said...

I love fine china, and I love your bone dishes. I would like to be entered in your giveaway, and would LOVE to win!

lynda said...

Happy birthday! Please add my name to your giveaway. Those little dishes are beautiful!