Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Michigan Vacation

This post is picture heavy but no stitching pictures. There, you've been forewarned.

Rich and I were invited to a cabin in Michigan by his brother and SIL.  It's been in our SIL's family for a long time.  Tucked off the main road with a 1.2 mile driveway, it's a little slice of heaven.  This is the view from the ridge where the cabin is.  Very few cabins are on this lake so it's very quiet and peaceful.  Stars galore at night, loons call to each other, and the weather was perfect. 70's, low humidity, good company, great food. It was a great vacation.

Everyday we took a boat ride on the lake.  Puttered around to see the sights.  One of our favorites were the turtles sunning themselves and swimming in the water. 


There was the main cabin and this was where Rich and I slept - the bunkhouse/bungalow.  There's a girl side and boys side.  The original family had 7 children so they built this for the children.


We took Buddy with us, of course, and he loved every minute.  He wore himself out every day.  One evening he even went in his crate before it was full dark - he was DONE.  Here's his first meeting with a fish. Not quite sure what to make of them.


DSIL brought her faithful companion, Cricket.  He's getting on in years and only wanted a couple boat rides.  He tolerated Buddy which was great.  He's a sweet old boy.


There were a few loons on the lake that would call sometimes during the night.  I loved waking up and hearing them and wondering what they were telling each other.


A few places had beds of lily pads.  This lake had lots of shallow areas and then all of a sudden it would drop off to deep dark green.  It was mentioned that it was thought that these deep areas actually fed into one of the great lakes. Pretty amazing if true.


Buddy really enjoyed the boat rides.


A great blue heron fished on one of the shores.  Our last day, I spotted a beaver swimming.  That was the first I had ever seen a beaver in the wild.  We also saw a bald eagle fly by a couple of times.  A very impressive, LARGE bird.  Very exciting. I also fished for one of the first times ever.  Between Rich and I we caught over a dozen fish.  It was so much fun.  That night we had a very tasty fish fry.  MMMMi


It was a great vacation.  I started a new project on the way up but decided to read on the way home.  I'll have pictures of that later. Here's dusk on our last evening on the lake.  ahhhh..............


Marsha

2 comments:

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Oh what a great getaway you had! Thanks for sharing it with us. Sigh.

Jenny said...

Gorgeous! Love that Buddy had so much fun that he went to bed before bed-time...