Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Peony Hill

If Lily of the Valley is my favorite flower, Peonies run a very, very close second.  There is nothing like a vase full of peonies filling the house with their scent.  Lord have mercy, there is nothing like it.

Every year it's a toss up how they will do.  This year the rain has them all hanging their heads and they are blasting.  Meaning, they are blooming and shortly thereafter losing their petals.  It will be a brief peony season.



A year ago Martha Stewart had an article in her magazine 'Martha Stewart Living' on her peony beds at her Bedford home.  OMG.  Rows of the same peony strain planted double wide.  Row after row with hundreds and hundreds of peony bushes.  I can't imagine what that is like when they bloom.  A little piece of heaven I suspect.



I finished 'Peony Hill' in late fall so the timing wasn't right to show it off.  But now...
Here she is,


By the Bay needlework design on a stash piece of linen with DMC threads as charted.



The area behind the fence and in front of the house (lighter green color) called for all french knots. Oh 'hell' no.  I do like french knots and don't usually have a problem with them but I just couldn't face a big bunch of them.  My framer did an awesome job.  The frame has a green tone to it that matches perfectly.  Which, of course, you can't see in the photo.


Off to breath in that peony perfume.

Marsha

8 comments:

carol fun said...

Oh the double ruffled peonies are some of my favorite Spring flowers! Lovely cross stitch piece - those giant peonies are wonderful!

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Yep, I know what you mean about the smell of peonies! Mine are blasting too. Such a shame really.
I think your pics are pretty good but you are right that frame is much prettier in person.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you on the peony scent. Nothing to me says "old fashioned charm" than a vase full of white peonies, and their scent drifting through the house.

My peonies are getting ready to bloom!

Love the needlework, BTW. I might have to pick up that chart.

Carol S.

Carol said...

Peonies always remind me of my childhood; Mom would cut a big bunch, put them in a vase, and set them in the middle of the table. Before too long, we'd have a trail of tiny ant joining us for dinner :)

Your Peony Hill finish is just lovely, Marsha!

Penny said...

I love the fragrance of peonies! Peony Hill is just beautiful! I love the pinks and greens together. :)

Annette-California said...

Gorgeous Peonies you have. I wish I had some growing. Okay your framed "Peony Hill" needlework - I'm in love with. Perfect finish.

Donna said...

Oh it is beautiful, you did such a good job and the framing is perfect. And congratulations about your son and his wife to be.

Marsha said...

Thank you Donna, I'm so glad you like it!