I made this for my Dad, a WWII veteran who was in the Rainbow Division. Freeing the survivors at the Dachau Concentration Camp was just one of the horrors he had to endure during the war. Only in the past 5 years, has he been able speak about these things. He became a member of a wonderful veterans group who meet for breakfast and lunch once a month and take trips together to different memorials. I will be visiting my parents in June and can't wait to give this to him. I hope he likes it. It's so appropriate for this weekend.
Plum Street Sampler - Freebie
French Vanilla RR Linen
Needlepoint Silks - I matched the red to the poppy then picked a blue and white
A couple weeks ago, our guild had a Saturday stitch in. I love going to these and seeing all the wonderful pieces everyone has finished and all the ones currently being worked on. Ann M., one of our members, gave a great talk on the needle books she stitches for her family. After downsizing she ran out of all available wall space for samplers so she switched to needle books. These are some of the ones she has completed. Ellen's With My Needle has a post from May 15th if you are interested in seeing more photos.
These are some more pieces that members have completed. They are so nice to see in person. Samplers that you see in person look so much more impressive than the pictures on charts. It gives you a better feel for what they would be like to stitch. Inspiring too!
Thank you for your comments. I really do appreciate them.
Marsha
6 comments:
My goodness, what inspiring stitching photos! And I love how you finished the freebie - what beautiful colors, and I hope the amazing hero that receives your gift loves it. ;) Please tell your dad thank you for his service to our country for me.
Paulette
I love the piece you stitched for your Dad. Simply perfect! In fact today I saw a veteran selling poppies in front of the post office. It has been a long time since I've seen that, and I remember them being everywhere when I was a kid. All the finished pieces are wonderful. I love the sampler with the giant girl- I need to add that one to my ever growing list. Have a great weekend!
What a wonderful stitch for your Dad! Thanks for sharing all those other lovely projects!
I know your dad will love this! It really is beautiful.
Hello
Just found your blog.
Your finish is lovely and the poem is so perfect.
Thanks for sharing such lovely projects!
Beautiful beautiful stitching!! Those soldiers saw so much horror, and we all have a lot to thank them for. My Mother's father was killed in the 1st world war, and her step father was killed in the 2nd.
Post a Comment